I thought, I might give you an update via, my (kinda) new year resolutions, and see how we go from there. The reason I say, "kinda" is I had a view to complete some of these as a resolution for the year, and some before my birthday in June, a demi year resolution if you will! The reason my birthday has factored in, unlike pretty much all past years ever, is that 2012 is a big one...the year I wave my roaring twenties goodbye, and skip into my flirty thirties. Quarter-life crisis much? No, not really in fact, but, it's still a big one, I thought it would be nice to set myself one or two goals, so I truly start my thirties as I mean to go on. So, without further ado....my "Demi Year Goals"
(apologies if some appear mundane and boring, but I thought it would be good to record them all in one place, then I can't back out...even from the humdrum ones!)
Hopefully, like all good targets, these should all be SMART. As I work in education, I can't help but adopt some incredibly annoying mnemonics (you should ask me how we get the kids to spell diarrhoea correctly sometime....we're a right hoot we are!)
For the unitiated, SMART goals all should be... (for me anyway, definitions do vary somewhat)
The woolier a goal is, the quicker I will shirk out of it....by golly, i'm a shirker at heart, and a big fat procrastinator while i'm at it....I need a bit of specificity in my life.
These are all to be completed by the end of June.
- Lose a stone in weight. Pretty standard new year goal, hopefully will be checked off sooner rather than later...I think i'll do a separate post for those who are interested, I won't weight-loss bore you here.
- Take a daily vitamin supplement. Boring I know, but I have started this goal sporadically over the years, and never, ever, stick to it. I hope this year is a sticky one! This will be an ongoing one, I shouldn't stop this in June. I need to include this for a couple of reasons, i'm not hoping to create just a bit more expensive pee, but I do believe I am genuinely deficient in one or two areas. I am definitely Vitamin D lacking... my GP has told me this, but I never got round to fixing it really. This is the problem with being such a pale freckly as myself, I do not get natural Vitamin D from the sun, because I am ridiculously anal about sun protection, and generally stay out of the sun wherever possible, I have been told by a consultant dermatologist that in no uncertain terms I should be doing this....hence faux Vitamin D. For the second part, I have a comedy immune system, especially since the glandular fever/mono debacle of 2010. I find it particularly hard to stay well, especially as i'm surrounded by a bunch of teenagers with less than perfect hygiene, and grubby pawing mitts on a daily basis. I was off sick four times last term. I need to boost my limping immune system by whatever means possible. Really, I don't know why I didn't think of this before.
- Get Fit(ish) for 2012. Yeah, I know, wooliest wool. I plan to SMART this up in a couple of ways. Apart from the losing weight, and the generally eating a bit better business, I intend to SMART this by running 5k by the time I am 30. Now, I have done a few charity 5k runs over the years, but I have certainly not run continuously. I figure, that if I am running 5ks, then I am considerably fitter than I probably ever have been. I plan to achieve this in one focussed way...via iPhone app. Basically, these days, i'm finding things so much easier to do via my smartphone....no idea why. My weight-loss programme is via my iPhone, so i may aswell get fit from an app too! The app I have chosen is called Get Running, which promises to get you from couch to 5k in nine weeks. From the reviews i've read, it seems to be pretty good, and hopefully will work for me too. Theoretically, I don't need to start this one until April to fit this in before my birthday, but realistically, I'm waiting for it to get a tiny bit lighter in the evenings, and just a touch warmer too. Hopefully I will start this around the time of my February half term...I'll keep you posted. Anyone else tried an app to get fit? Did it work? In the mean-time, I am power walking (well just walking as fast as I can really!) from my school to my bus stop every day, which is about 20-25 minutes, and i'm not rewarding myself with a Greggs pasty when I get to the bus stop (which I was doing pretty much everyday up until December....oh ok, it was two pasties. Yes, everyday.) The other goal I want to achieve under this banner, is to walk a half marathon. This is a charity event organised by my local hospice every year, and is an incredibly worthwhile cause. It is an overnight 13 mile walk at the end of June, and i'm really excited to take part this year for the first time. As i'm a pretty good walker anyway, and i'll obvs be running 5ks by this point anyway, this should be totes easy right? In all seriousness, I like having quite a tangible goal to be working towards too.
Right, that's the health bidness, onto the scant rest
Mind, (body, sorted) & Spirit
These ones are more for 2012 as a whole
- Read at least 25 books this year, averaging at two a month, and one extra for luck...this gives me time to catch up should I flunk a month. One of my friends is reading, or re-reading all of the books on the BBC 100 Best Reads list. There is no way I could achieve that, so I have gone with the significantly more achievable target of 25, and general titles too....preferably ones I already own!
- Buy less (physical) books. OK, this seems to contradict item 1, but trust me, I have plenty of unread books for several people doing this target to be going on with. I have even done the unthinkable, and got rid of a load of books that I haven't actually read yet. I deemed that it was highly unlikely that I will ever read them, and I should perhaps focus on the ones that I am likely to read, so i gave them to friends, or charity shopped them. Did you note that I said physical books? Well, i'm still allowed to buy some books on my Kindle...they don't take up any actual space you see. This should help with item 4.
- Keep a book journal. This will keep track of items 1 and 2, and it also will be quite nice to see what I have achieved by the end of the year.
- De-clutter. I need to get rid of A LOT of stuff. I have too much of everything. I have made a start, but I need to do more. This one is going to be difficult to quantify I accept, but, if i'm honest, I will know by December, if I have genuinely achieved this one or not. This will be helped by item 2, and hopefully 1, if I end up passing on some of the books I read.
- Buy less crap. This will also help item 4, but really, I do spend too much money on not a lot. I need to make do more. This will also be aided by item 1 on the Health list, as will become clear in the separate post I will do on the topic. Again, not an easy one to quantify, I'll have to review how successful I am at the end of the year I guess.
- And a bit of a random one, that sorta doesn't fit, but i'm putting it in this section anyway. As I am still at present, a single lady, If I haven't met anyone lovely by the end of June, then I will join a dating website. This is not to say that i'm not completely cool with being single; I enjoy it immensely, and I do love my life, sometimes I think you need to make things happen. In ten years time, if i'm making a list of goals before I turn 40, I want to know that if i'm still single, then it is through choice, and that no-one has made me want to trade in my, admittedly amazing, single life, not from not putting myself out there way back when, and giving myself opportunities. So there.
Well there you go. My 2012 in one blog post (plus the Olympics, and all that jazz...I have tickets for three events btw...so excited!!)
What do you guys think? Thoughts or suggestions on my little 2012 project?